Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Joey McCarthy Commits To UMass Amherst




Joey McCarthy is the next Wolverine to verbally commit to school. This past week he committed to The University of Massachusetts Amherst where he will join the Minutemen’s baseball team. This is a big decision for McCarthy, and a lot of factors contributed to the final choice. When asked what it was about UMass Amherst that attracted McCarthy, he couldn’t pinpoint just one saying, “UMass is a great school with a team and coaching staff I want to play for, and the sports management major I've been hoping to pursue. I have always wanted a bigger school, that is close to home, and UMass fills that need as well. I feel like next year I can go there and compete right away to help make a difference for the program. Knowing where I will be in the fall is a huge relief. Now I can focus on preparing for next year.”

Not only is McCarthy happy with the decision, but coach Izaryk is thrilled saying, “Joey has some tremendous athletic ability on the baseball field, and I think he's found a great fit at UMass. After talking with Coach Sweeney, Joey will have the opportunity to compete for a spot right away in the fall. Given the chance, Joey is a fierce competitor who will thrive in the competitive atmosphere that is fall baseball. I'm excited that Joey has found a school that combines his major of choice with the opportunity to play college baseball at the highest level, and I believe Joey has some great days ahead of him at UMass."


No comments: